Friday, May 28, 2010

narcan

Some might say that I have a touch of OCD. And I'll admit, I do have some hoarding tendencies. I can't tell you how many times I have needed something RIGHT NOW and had to wait for distribution to send it up or pharmacy to bring it to me. Therefore, when I come across something that I think will come in handy, I shove it in my binder for a rainy day. My coworkers know this about me, and make fun of the fact that I have easy access to a pair of wire cutters, several suture kits, and in particular, one vial of narcan. Narcan is a drug that reverses narcotics, and you can give it to patients who aren't breathing well because we gave them too many drugs. I have my vial from a certain fiasco last summer where a nurse gave my patient pain meds less than an hour after I did accidentally. So last week, my vial of narcan came up and the girls were teasing me about it. Well wouldn't you know, at 2200 I get a frantic call that just tells me to "bring the vial of narcan to 11. NOW". Turns out that one of the patient's PCAs was set a touch to high and he was barely breathing. After the narcan, the patient woke up considerably and was talking to us. So say what you will about my OCD. Because if anyone ever needs some silver nitrate sticks, I'm your girl :)

No comments:

Post a Comment