Thursday, May 26, 2011

disclaimer, part 2

unfortunately, i've learned the hard way that people will use just about anything against you to prove a point. i've recently had some issues with social media...long story short, i may have accidentally offended some people by talking about work.

actually, that's a lie...i got caught in the crossfire of two grown women acting like teenagers and got put on probation for several very nondescript, non hipaa-violating comments that were discovered during their adolescent fighting.  i never actually violated the social media policy, but was still punished for it.  apparently large, powerful hospitals need scapegoats to keep all the little people in line, and i was lucky enough to get to fill that role.  

for the sake of clarity, i'd like to say a few things.

to state the obvious, the views and opinions expressed here are those of my own and not of my employer (duh). i don't speak for anyone but myself, and surely we all know that i'm just a touch biased with these stories :)

for the record, i work at a very good hospital with very good people. while some of my stories may highlight my frustrations, there are plenty of other fabulous things about work that i don't blog about. overall, i think that my place of employment provides great care, otherwise i (obviously) wouldn't work there. the issues that i have with doctors, patients, and really the hospital environment in general are pretty universal. i may rant and rave like a crazy person on a regular basis, but should i ever be in need of care i wouldn't hesitate to use my employer.

so to sum things up, i am taking a risk by continuing to blog. but even though other people might think i'm crazy, to me it's worth it. there is a type of satisfaction here that i'm not ready to give up. and frankly, i think it's pretty great to look back on the situations i've been it over the past year and see how far i've come.

so i'm going to continue. because if there's one thing that being a nurse has given me, it's a backbone. i spend most of my days advocating for my patients, now it's time for me to fight for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment