Sunday, August 5, 2012

things that matter

i wrote this awhile ago and somehow it didn't seem to quite capture the magnitude of what i was trying to say.  but in the midst of living in a world where you aren't even safe in church, i needed a reminder that some people are still good.  so here it is.  


i'm so used to dealing with people who are entitled and want whatever they can get for free, that sometimes i forget there are genuinely good people in the world.  every so often, someone will do something so unexpectedly selfless that it just takes my breath away.


we have a woman on the floor.  she's a daughter, a sister.  her family was in a bad car accident, and she was left to make an unthinkable choice.  she decided to donate her brother's organs, because she knew that he was gone and they could do some good.  she had us all crying in the nurses station over the sheer selflessness of her actions.  to be able to have that kind of grace under such horrific circumstances, and to have the courage to stand up under so much loss is unbelievable to me.


and somehow, even though she's suffered a huge loss, the peace that she has is evident.  it makes me believe it something bigger than myself.  it gives me hope for humanity, which i had pretty much decided was doomed.  it humbles me, and it makes me want to be more than i am.  it makes me want to tell the people that i love how much i love them, and to never ever take life for granted.


this woman reminded me of the things that matter.  she reminded me to be grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment